If you want to start a construction business, you must first hold the credential or employ a Qualifying Party, i.e. someone who holds a contractor license to perform the scope of work you intend your business to perform. This work includes general construction work, electrical, mechanical and plumbing, and LP gas.


Construction licensing is handled by PSI. Select the NEW MEXICO CONTRACTOR LICENSING link for frequently asked questions provided by PSI.


To obtain this license, the applicant must pass an exam and file an affidavit attesting to a minimum number of years of experience. Once your business has a qualifying party, you need to apply for a business license.


All businesses required to be licensed by the Construction Industries Division, no matter the number of employees, may be required to obtain workers' compensation insurance. Select the EMPLOYER GUIDEBOOK link for more information.